Breast Augmentation Surgery
Beautiful, full breasts are desired by many women. With several different choices of implant size and type, natural-looking breasts are possible. Women who want to increase the size and enhance the shape of their breasts in Jackson and Ann Arbor should consider breast augmentation.
There are several ways a woman can benefit from breast augmentation. This procedure can:
- Enhance your body contour by giving you more feminine curves
- Help you feel more comfortable in clothing
- Restore lost breast volume after breastfeeding or significant weight loss
- Lift the breasts and fill out hollowness in the top of the breast
Breast augmentation can also be combined with other procedures such as a tummy tuck, breast lift, or liposuction in Michigan. Dr. Malhotra is happy to discuss which procedures will give you beautiful results.
Breast augmentation involves making a small incision to insert the breast implant in order to enlarge the breast. There are 4 common incision locations including the armpit, nipple, breast fold, and belly button. We offer armpit incisions for silicone implants, which is not typically offered by many surgeons.
The breast implant may be placed under the pectoralis (chest) muscle, over the muscle, or by using the "dual plane" technique, which combines both methods. The decision on which location to use depends on how much breast tissue you have to cover the implant, which incision you would like, how much of a breast lift you need from the implant, and what type of implant you have chosen. Some general guidelines include:
- Armpit incisions typically require placement under the muscle.
- Very small breasts often need extra coverage for the implant, so it is placed under the muscle.
- Silicone implants can be placed on top of the muscle to allow the implant to maximally lift the breasts.
- Recovery time with implants placed over the muscle (subglandular) is typically less than under the muscle. We use a 48 hour recovery technique for breast implants placed in the subglandular position.
During the procedure, the breast tissue is raised to create a pocket under the breast tissue or beneath the chest muscle. Surgeons who have beautiful, natural results take special care in pocket creation.
We perform quick recovery breast augmentation for our Michigan patients. After surgery you will wear a surgical bra for one day. You may then switch to a sports bra. Some patients have even reported going out to dinner the night after their procedure; however, we advise that you speak with Dr. Malhotra about recovery time before resuming any normal activity.